Chris is an accredited primary care skin cancer doctor, working exclusively in specialist skin cancer clinics since 2009. He established Spot Check Skin Cancer Clinic in 2017 to realise his vision of a patient-centred service with a strong focus on technology, communication and ongoing care.
Chris is a primary care skin cancer doctor, working exclusively in specialist skin cancer clinics since 2009. He established Spot Check Skin Cancer Clinic in 2017 to realise his vision of a patient-centred medical skin service with a strong focus on understanding and helping treat patients' skin concerns. His focus is on providing evidence based, cost effective skin cancer, health and rejuvenation treatments.
Chris graduated from the University of Adelaide in 1988 and spent time working in sexual health where he learnt the importance of an empathetic and relaxed consulting style, while aiming to educate and encourage patients to take responsibility for reducing their risk. In the late 90s and early 2000s, Chris became interested in the potential of the internet and computing to improve medical care. He gained postgraduate qualifications in computer science, health informatics and digital communication. He worked for several years in software development and as an internet consultant to health sector clients before returning to clinical medicine.
Skin cancer practice allows Chris to combine his interests in medical computing, the internet and patient-centred care by leveraging technologies which empower patients to monitor their own skin and communicate easily with their trusted provider. In recent years, he's broadened his interests to cover the medical skin issues frequently identified during skin cancer checks: sun damaged, ageing skin, rosacea, melasma, acne, unwanted lesions and more.
When he's away from the clinic, Chris enjoys cooking, especially with home-grown produce from his rooftop garden. He loves music and if you've heard a disco/funk, trip-hop, 90s alternative or 80s new romantic playlist in the waiting room, chances are he curated it!
Skin cancer courses and qualifications
- Accredited skin cancer doctor, Skin Cancer College Australasia
- Advanced Clinical Certificate of Dermoscopy, Skin Cancer College Australasia
- Certificate of Dermoscopy, Skin Cancer College Australasia
- Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine, Skin Cancer College Australasia
- Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Surgery, HealthCert
- Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine, HealthCert
- Certificate of Acne and Rosacea, Australasian College of Dermatologists
- Professional Certificate of Aesthetic Medicine, HealthCert
- Professional Certificate of General Dermatology, HealthCert
- Laser Safety Officer Certificate, Fleming Laser
- Certificate of Photodynamic Therapy, Bravura Education
- Certificate of Surgitron Radiofrequency Surgery, Aesthetics and Skin Institute
Other academic qualifications
- MBBS (University of Adelaide 1988)
- MA (Virtual Communication) (RMIT 2004)
- Grad Cert (Health Informatics) (Monash, 2001)
- Grad Dip (Computer and Information Science) (University of SA, 1999)
Member of Skin Cancer College Australasia