Topical treatment with aminolevulinic acid (ALA) cream, activated by low level light or intense pulsed light.
People with suitable skin cancers (thin BCC and SCC) where non-surgical treatment with good cosmetic result is desired
People with multiple solar keratoses resistant to other treatments
The fee is variable and depends on the following:
- amount of ALA cream to be used (extra $100 if more than 10g used)
- whether the skin is prepared using microneedling before application of ALA (extra $100)
- whether the doctor needs to perform a de-bulking procedure to make the skin cancer flatter prior to treatment (extra $200)
- whether the ALA is activated using low level light therapy or intense pulsed light (extra $200)
- This fee applies to initial treatment of a maximum area of 25cm² or one anatomical area (e.g. face). If further treatments are required, we offer a discount.
The discount fee is offered to:
- children under 18
- Health Care Card holders
Note: You must present a current and valid Pensioner Concession Card or Health Care Card when you attend for your appointment.
Discounts are offered at our discretion and may be withheld for patients who have previously missed appointments or cancelled at late notice.
Discounts are not available for cosmetic procedures.
No rebate payable
Private health insurance
Some private health insurers pay a rebate for photodynamic therapy. We are unable to provide details of which insurers cover this service.